Language Tools and Reflection

THE UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE

Language Tools and Reflection

Please use the following document to help you structure your reflections regarding your explorations of language.You should have at least10 entries of your own and use at least 5 different language tools. The total word length should be 1500 words. Upload the file to MyUni for the Language Tools and Reflection assignment. Five points are also give for grammar and vocabulary (see the rubric on MyUni for more details).

Name:
Item
Reasons for searching
(5 points)
Tools and method employed (e.g. springer.exemplar, AdTAT, Turnitin, online learner’s dictionary, youtube pronunciation site, etc) (10 points)
Description of findings from language tools
(10 points)
Reflection on relevance of your findings for your own academic work
(10 points)

e.g. emphasis on


I need to know whether ‘on’ is an appropriate collocation for ‘emphasis’. I also want to know which verbs and adjectives collocate most frequently with ‘emphasis’.
I was unsure about the difference between ‘emphasis’ and ‘emphasise’, and whether they can both take ‘on’, so I also searched for ‘emphasise on’.
 I searched E-C Concord (Monoconc) using the LOB corpus and the search string ‘emphasis’ with the associated word ‘on’, searching to the right of the keyword. I also looked at common verbs and adjectives to the left of the noun.
I then did a search for ‘emphasise on’ in the LOB corpus.
The noun ‘emphasis’ plus the preposition ‘on’ appear 35 times in the LOB corpus, meaning that it is a common collocation. ‘Emphasis on’ is followed by a noun or a noun phrase. E.g. ‘emphasis on economic as well as political development’. I also noticed that ‘put’, ‘place’, ‘great’ and ‘strong’ frequently collocate with ‘emphasis’.
The verb ‘emphasise’ plus the preposition ‘on’ appear only twice in the LOB corpus, and in each case the word ‘on’ collocates with a different word. E.g. ‘on the one hand’ and ‘depends on the year’. The verb ‘emphasise’ therefore does not collocate with ‘on’.

I had always thought there was no difference between the noun and verb form of ‘emphasis/emphasise’ in regard to the following preposition ‘on’, so I made a lot of mistakes in my academic writing and speaking because I often said things like ‘We should emphasise on …’
These findings mean that I should be careful to distinguish the difference between the noun ‘emphasis’ and the verb ‘emphasise’, and use ‘on’ only for the noun form.
Additionally, when I use the phrase ‘emphasis on’ I can expand it to include ‘put great emphasis on’ or ‘place great emphasis on’.
This will make my academic writing more accurate and convincing.

e.g. skills +critical thinking


I want to know the frequency of the word ‘skills’ in a corpus based on critical thinking because I want to see if the terms ‘critical thinking’ and ‘skills’ are often used together.
I searched AdTAT using a pre-existing corpus of 6 academic texts based on critical thinking. I looked for word frequency for the word ‘skills’ and then I looked at the top 20 entries for ‘skills’ to see if the words ‘critical thinking’ were used in the surrounding sentences.
The ideas of ‘critical thinking’ and ‘skills’ frequently go together, though not necessarily next to each other in a text. For instance, the word ‘skills’ appears 185 times in the critical thinking corpus based on 6 journal articles, but it does not always follow the phrase ‘critical thinking’. This means that the ideas are associated but the words can be separated. E.g. I could write about ‘skills of critical thinking’ or ‘skills relevant to critical thinking’.

Knowing how to find word frequencies within a corpus will help me to identify words commonly used in my discipline. This means that I don’t have to look up every new word I come across; I can see which are the most important words and learn those first. I can also see if certain words and phrases are used with others, which will help me identify important concepts.
The fact that critical thinking is a skill means that it is something that can be learned, and its frequency in the corpus means that it is an important skill for academic work.

Item 1










Item 2











Item 3











Item 4












Item 5












Item 6




Item 7




Item 8




Item 9




Item 10





To get solution visit our website www.sourceessay.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment Help: Add Valuable Factors In Your Learning Skills

Language Techniques Every Student Must Know

The Helpful Essay Writing Guide: Structure, Outline, Tips And Format